Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spaghetti Sauce


Sadly, I was not born Italian. I think they’ve got it going on... food, coffee, style, architecture... they know how to live! Having pale freckled skin, fuzzy red hair and a habit of putting my foot in it, I couldn’t be more different from the olive skinned, dark silken-haired, sophisticated Italians. However, I am proud to say that our family has our own spaghetti sauce. It has been nurtured over many conversations with mom on the phone, many notes, and many pots of spaghetti sauce. Thing is, every time, the sauce tastes a little different. Sometimes it’s good... other times it’s simply fantastic. It’s better the next day, and freezes well. Many times I’ve heated up spaghetti leftovers, sat down to eat it, and ‘sunshine-on-a-cloudy-day’... this meal is fabulous, just what I needed!

So, while I may not have been born Italian... there’s still the chance that I could marry an Italian! As long as he can get past my bad habit of putting my foot in it!

Spaghetti Sauce

Tbsp olive oil
Package of extra lean ground beef
Clove of garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp Italian Spice
1 can tomato sauce
1 can stewed/canned tomatos
1 tbsp Ketchup
Pinch of cayenne

Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
Add onions and garlic and fry for a minute or two.
Add ground beef and Italian spice, fry till beef is cooked.
Turn beef mixture into a stock pot over medium heat.
Add cans of tomatoes, Ketchup and cayenne.
Bring to a simmer and simmer for half an hour or more.
Serve with spaghetti pasta.

Optional: add handfuls of chopped vegetables... carrots, zuchinni and peppers are all great in this sauce.

Author’s note: This was my favourite meal growing up. Every birthday dinner, it was spaghetti with garlic bread for dinner and angel food cake with pink icing for dessert.

1 comment: